Separate Forum?

Chibi Rachy

Separate Forum?

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Since the holiday event thing with the board is catching on, is there any way we can make a separate forum for it instead of keeping it under polls? It doesn't really fit there any more, and it might be easier to have it separate as well. Call it something like "Forum Events" or something.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

SunSpire
Site Admin

Re: Separate Forum?

Post by SunSpire »

I had to look around a bit before I realized what you meant. My question would be what happens to the forum once the event has passed? How many are wanting to take part in this? If it was a larger event then I guess there could be something like a "seasonal events" section ... dunno, what's your ideas?

"SunSpire"
[html]* <a target="_blank" href="http://www.sunspire-records.com">SunSpire Records
</a>*
[/html]

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

SunSpire wrote:I had to look around a bit before I realized what you meant. My question would be what happens to the forum once the event has passed? How many are wanting to take part in this? If it was a larger event then I guess there could be something like a "seasonal events" section ... dunno, what's your ideas?

"SunSpire"
No, it's just a forum for hosting all the event threads. We've gotten a few so far. There's been quite a few so far, and I just figured it's better to have a separate place for all those threads, than having them blend in with the Polls section.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

Post by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel »

If I correctly get what Chibi Rachy is saying, you normally need only one topic as different events tend to be separated by time. Between events it wouldn't get much action until the next one came along. The only thing I can think of is that a second or additional topic could be set up as an alternate in case of events in different countries taking place at about the same time. That may cause confusion if they were both on the same topic.
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

I can try to explain this further. Each event so far would have 2 separate threads.

1st thread: Feedback on previous event/Suggestions for next Event
2nd thread: Sign-ups for event/voting on event type, as well as posted updates from participants.

It continues like that. We had threads for Christmas, for V-day, and now gearing up for Easter. I do plan to do a summer event after that. It is not international at this point, just based within the US since those are the members who have participated. It's caught on and so is something that is going to continue in the future.

SunSpire
Site Admin

Post by SunSpire »

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel wrote:... as different events tend to be separated by time. Between events it wouldn't get much action until the next one came along.
That's what I was thinking, the forum would not be used at all inbetween events, and who's to say there's someone organizing things for every seasonal holiday that's coming along?

Maybe a sticky topic in one of the sections for the duration of the individual event would be more appropriate!?

I don't know, what's the other members and admins' thoughts on this please?

"SunSpire"
[html]* <a target="_blank" href="http://www.sunspire-records.com">SunSpire Records
</a>*
[/html]

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

SunSpire wrote:
Blondine Arc-En-Ciel wrote:... as different events tend to be separated by time. Between events it wouldn't get much action until the next one came along.
That's what I was thinking, the forum would not be used at all inbetween events, and who's to say there's someone organizing things for every seasonal holiday that's coming along?

Maybe a sticky topic in one of the sections for the duration of the individual event would be more appropriate!?

I don't know, what's the other members and admins' thoughts on this please?

"SunSpire"
I'm the one that's in charge of setting up the events. I started the first, and have just continued ever since. Also, I'd like to point out that there was a forum on the archived boards for get togethers where there weren't many threads a month. Plus, there are other forums on the board that already do not get very many posts, and have been dead for a year, yet they are kept. Yes, they provide valuable information, but if we're going by how often they get posted in, then they could be combined as well.

The only gap in time that such an event forum would have would be the summer months. A summer event would take place between May-June and then there'd be downtime until September. Once September rolls around, there's a Halloween event, and hopefully I can do the beginnings of a Christmas event in November instead of late like 2009.

As for a sticky topic, there'd need to be two. One topic hosts feedback and suggestions, and the other is for sign-ups and then updates throughout the event.

A bit more of an explanation, at least.

Tennyo

Post by Tennyo »

A sticky thread in the General section would be more appropriate I would think. :)

SunSpire
Site Admin

Post by SunSpire »

This is currently being discussed with the other admins, recent changes are neither final nor intended. Please continue to post your thoughts here as well, thank you.

"SunSpire"
</a>*
[/html]

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Whatever gets decided, best to make an announcement in the end since the poor threads are ending up all over the place... such as the Vday thread being in the announcements section.