RARE USED VINTAGE 1983 RAINBOW BRITE STAR BRIGHT SPRITE

souwah

Post by souwah »

Just saw this on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-USED-VINTAGE ... 41579b9c8d

I'm new to all this so i'm not sure where this sprite fits into what sort of collection? PVC Minis?? And are they vintage just because it's says 1983?

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Those are not vintage. They're from the 2003-2004 (Generation 3) line. I have him listed under "Light-Up Sprites" on my Plastic Figures page:

http://www.rainbowbrite.net/collect/pla ... twink.html

All RB dolls say Copyright 1983 Hallmark, but that does not indicate that they were produced/sold that year.
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

souwah

Post by souwah »

Rainbow Brite wrote:Those are not vintage. They're from the 2003-2004 (Generation 3) line. I have him listed under "Light-Up Sprites" on my Plastic Figures page:

http://www.rainbowbrite.net/collect/pla ... twink.html

All RB dolls say Copyright 1983 Hallmark, but that does not indicate that they were produced/sold that year.
oh i see! That can be pretty misleading then!
So all the new stuff will be branded with the 1983 also then as this was when RB was created? How can we be sure to know it's "vintage" or which gen it's from?

I was also looking round on US craigslist (just for fun) and saw this RB baby high chair for sale. Have u seen one of those before?? Just thought i'd share =)
Attachments
il_570xN.152574683.jpg
il_570xN.152574683.jpg (69.04 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
RB high chair
RB high chair
il_570xN.152574325.jpg (71.84 KiB) Viewed 1094 times

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

Post by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel »

RB was created in 1980 and first marketed on greeting cards in 1983, which explains the copyright date. By 1984 the doll and toy line started and continued until 1987. The dolls and some toys were made by Mattel and they are called the first generation dolls or Gen 1 for short.

In 1996 came the Gen 2 dolls by Up, Up and Away. The only part of them that was Rainbow Brite was her name as the dolls were totally different from the originals. They didn't do that well and the line ended in 1997. They are marked Copyright 1996.

In 2003 the Gen 3 dolls arrived. They were made by Toy Play and were pretty close to the originals in looks but there were enough differences to make it easy for collectors to tell them apart. This line ended in 2006 and was marked with the Copyright 1983.

The Gen 4 dolls by Playmates went on sale late in December of 2009 and were withdrawn in July of 2010. The public didn't seem to care for the updated version that made her look like a preteen rather than a preschooler. The small dolls are best described as a preteen Barbie wearing an RB costume with Polly Pocket accessories.

I only collect the RB dolls from the last two generations. I collect the entire lines of the first two.

EDITED to show all of the correct manufacturers of the dolls.

Last edited by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

Post by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel »

RB furniture come up on ebay USA regularly. That particular one needs some restoration.
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

souwah wrote:oh i see! That can be pretty misleading then!
So all the new stuff will be branded with the 1983 also then as this was when RB was created? How can we be sure to know it's "vintage" or which gen it's from?
Here's a page with pictures of many of the Gen 3 dolls:

http://www.80stoysale.com/newrainbow.html

I'll try to add more pics to my site soon too, but in the meantime the best way to know is to ask us :) After a bit, you'll be able to spot the differences very easily and know which gen it's from.
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

souwah

Post by souwah »

Rainbow Brite wrote:
souwah wrote:oh i see! That can be pretty misleading then!
Here's a page with pictures of many of the Gen 3 dolls:

http://www.80stoysale.com/newrainbow.html

I'll try to add more pics to my site soon too, but in the meantime the best way to know is to ask us :) After a bit, you'll be able to spot the differences very easily and know which gen it's from.
Thanks so much! I love seeing all the different rb treasures!I definitely will ask if i'm not sure!

I really love the 2 piece figurine sets you showed me on that link, they look super cute! fingers crossed my path will cross them in the near future!

Do you have images of your full rb collection as I'd love to see or do you normally just take pix of your treasures individually!

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

souwah wrote:Do you have images of your full rb collection as I'd love to see or do you normally just take pix of your treasures individually!
Both :) Here are pics of my Rainbow Room, where I display my dolls, figures, posters, etc:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22723747@N ... 308332822/

There's no room to display the rest at the moment, so the other items are boxed up in the closet. You can see a PDF that lists my collectibles here:

http://www.rainbowbrite.net/KatyHaileCollection.pdf

But I haven't updated it in several months :\
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

stormberryfairy

Post by stormberryfairy »

Wow, your rainbow room is awesome! I made you a contact on Flikr. ;)

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

stormberryfairy wrote:Wow, your rainbow room is awesome! I made you a contact on Flikr. ;)
Thanks! :) I just realized that I don't have a picture of the other window in my room...but there's nothing "Rainbow Brite" in it, just rainbow :) And please excuse my messy desk...lol
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net