Books

What genre of books do you usually read?

Childrens
13%
Mystery
No votes
True Crime
No votes
Horror
No votes
Romance
13%
Non-fiction
13%
Fiction
38%
Other
25%

Total votes: 8

JoeyAngel
Admin

Books

Post by JoeyAngel »

Chibi Rachy wrote:
JoeyAngel wrote:Sarah Waters is an awesome writer in that genre ChibiRachy.. she wrote a few but so far i have read Tipping the velvet and Fingersmith. Both set in Victorian england.
I have three yet to read but on my list for after VC is finished ^^
XD I wouldn't consider either of those romantic thrillers though. I'm talking more about the stuff that's got some sort of crime or murder mystery or serial killer, like Deal with the Devil (Casey series by Vali), Elite Operatives series by Baldwin and the coauthor whose last name I can't spell), or the Honor series by Radclyffe. I have read Tipping the Velvet and loved it, but I read Fingersmith and hated it.
True, they are more 'period romantic' than thriller. I liked both of them but when i tried to read Affinity i just could not get into it at all so gave up. I have the next two after that set in the 1930s or 40s.. can't remeber which but not read them yet cos of the VC.

They made Tipping into a drama on tv here, and it was what made me read them. Then they made Fingersmith and as a tv program though it was not as good as Tipping to me. (I think though, because i had read the book before it was released in this second case i had high expectations of it)

Stormyfan

Books

Post by Stormyfan »

I chose childrens because they can be any category and have fun characters to relate to.

Chibi Rachy

Books

Post by Chibi Rachy »

JoeyAngel wrote:True, they are more 'period romantic' than thriller. I liked both of them but when i tried to read Affinity i just could not get into it at all so gave up. I have the next two after that set in the 1930s or 40s.. can't remeber which but not read them yet cos of the VC.

They made Tipping into a drama on tv here, and it was what made me read them. Then they made Fingersmith and as a tv program though it was not as good as Tipping to me. (I think though, because i had read the book before it was released in this second case i had high expectations of it)
Yeah period romantic works. I don't remember much about Afffinity, so I must not have liked it as well either. I have read the Nightwatch one, and I did enjoy that, though I know a lot of people don't. It is one of my favorites by her. I haven't read the newest one because it didn't sound very interesting to me.

I have seen the movie (as it was combined into here XD) and I liked it even though it does veer from the book. I never did watch the one for Fingersmith because I didn't like the book XD

And no, Clino, I've not read pulp fiction from that time period. I've read Spring Fire though and then a book written in the style of lesbian pulp- Lois Lenz, Lesbian Secretary.

After romantic thrillers, I typically go for fantasy, though Jane Fletcher is by far my favorite in that genre.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

TheWendybird

Books

Post by TheWendybird »

Yeah I picked fiction as well because it covers a range of different styles. It really all depends on if the story just interests me...my absolute favorite books are Peter Pan by JM Barrie, Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux and Nutcracker and the Mouse King by ETA Hoffmann....seriously...too many people know the ballet and not enough people know the book...book is so much better..tho i still love the music from the ballet and the Baryshnikov version of it is the greatest. The book started it all though..as yes..it IS a novel..look for it! Good read for christmas too! Oh yes that reminds me...a christmas carol is another one..i've loved it for many many years..of course..i'm a christmas fanatic;)

That being said...in more modern books and example would be The Notebook..i loved the movie but honestly i thought it was better than the book. I liked the characters more in the movie and i felt they had more depth and were more well rounded, fleshed out characters. The book seemed like a glorified romance novel and it all felt like it was based in sex. Now I love sex as much as the next person but it doesn't make a book for me...i've never been into romance novels except when me and a friend of mine read one for a giggle one afternoon in junior high.

I also loooove reading Shakespeares plays and have since i was 12. That being said I read a young adult book called "Wings" about a girl who turns out to be the fairy daughter of Titania..i loved that one too. http://www.amazon.com/Wings-Fairy-E-D-B ... 187&sr=1-1
*~*~Krista~*~*
Mrs. Starvoyager as of 11/22/09 :D
"Hail Stormy full of fury! Rainbow is with Thee!" :P