LA LA CA NA DA !!

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

LA LA CA NA DA !!

Post by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel »

JoeyAngel wrote:Do what you want.. i don't care as i don't visit here everyday in order to enforce such a silly rule. I have other things to do. ¬¬
I was just backing SunSpire up as it is generally bad ettiquette on the internet to use caps like this.
:lol: Thanks, Joey! You made my point perfectly. If it's silly to have a rule that requires everyone to write perfectly, it's equally silly to say that I can't write my titles in caps because that's also part of the same rule.

Besides, LA LA CA NA DA wouldn't look right as La La Ca na da, would it? The impact of having an 'A' as every other letter is greatly diminsihed when lower case is used.
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

SunSpire
Site Admin

LA LA CA NA DA !!

Post by SunSpire »

Thanks, Joey! You made my point perfectly. If it's silly to have a rule that requires everyone to write perfectly, it's equally silly to say that I can't write my titles in caps because that's also part of the same rule.
You know, I agree with what you said about bad grammar and lack of punctuation in some of our member's posts, but it is NOT part of the same rule but something completely different. Neither me nor anyone else is expecting anyone to write "perfectly" here, not everyone is as good grammar wise as others and we don't expect them to be as this would be discriminating.

I don't know when you started the idea of writing all your titles in uppercase only, but since then we've had several members comment about it, stating that it seems as tough as you were shouting or otherwise would come across rude (when clearly you did not intend to do so) And generally your posts would "stick out" from what is considered the "netiquette" found in any decent online community.

I don't have as big a problem with your topic titles than I have with your general attitude to "do as you please", despite the fact that it affects others who expressed their thoughts to the admins, as well as to you directly. You don't seem to care, and that is not what we'd want to see here. You are part of the community, but being a part implies that you follow some basic rules, and topic titles are one of them.

Last I would like to apologize for my post yesterday, my thoughts about the boards and their future (to "shut them down" like I said) does not have to do with you personally, much rather the fact that this community has seen a decline in activity for over a year now (numbers constantly dropping) So again this was not about you, I'm sorry about that.

"SunSpire"
[html]* <a target="_blank" href="http://www.sunspire-records.com">SunSpire Records
</a>*
[/html]

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

LA LA CA NA DA !!

Post by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel »

SunSpire wrote:
Thanks, Joey! You made my point perfectly. If it's silly to have a rule that requires everyone to write perfectly, it's equally silly to say that I can't write my titles in caps because that's also part of the same rule.
You know, I agree with what you said about bad grammar and lack of punctuation in some of our member's posts, but it is NOT part of the same rule but something completely different. Neither me nor anyone else is expecting anyone to write "perfectly" here, not everyone is as good grammar wise as others and we don't expect them to be as this would be discriminating.

I don't know when you started the idea of writing all your titles in uppercase only, but since then we've had several members comment about it, stating that it seems as tough as you were shouting or otherwise would come across rude (when clearly you did not intend to do so) And generally your posts would "stick out" from what is considered the "netiquette" found in any decent online community.

I don't have as big a problem with your topic titles than I have with your general attitude to "do as you please", despite the fact that it affects others who expressed their thoughts to the admins, as well as to you directly. You don't seem to care, and that is not what we'd want to see here. You are part of the community, but being a part implies that you follow some basic rules, and topic titles are one of them.

Last I would like to apologize for my post yesterday, my thoughts about the boards and their future (to "shut them down" like I said) does not have to do with you personally, much rather the fact that this community has seen a decline in activity for over a year now (numbers constantly dropping) So again this was not about you, I'm sorry about that.

"SunSpire"
EDITED SINCE POSTING...
First, I accept your apology and thank you for it. Not only that, it was totally unexpected and I appreciate the fact that you were decent enough to do that in public.

You are right, I am not shouting and no rudeness is intended when I do that. It's really a shame that people are conditioned to think like that just because they see a few (sometimes only one or two) words typed that way. I certainly do not type my posts in all capitals (which would in fact be rude), just the titles. Part of doing that is because it instantly identifies the topic as mine and part of it is a jab at certain people who are clueless about proper writing. Oddly (and rudely to my way of thinking), the first person to make this a public issue is by far the worst offender here in typing only in lower case. Worse yet, when I asked her why this was an issue for her in light of the fact that she herself never uses capitals she said she was just too lazy to be bothered. I was doubly astounded. First, she deliberately types in a way that is difficult to read and second, she has the gall to comment negatively about my typing style. If she can do that and no one is offended about it, why can't the rest of us do what ever we want when it comes to writing?

You see, it really is the same rule. Think about it. How much netiquette is involved when people intentionally write something in a way that is difficult to read? It's zero in my book. As much as I detest her style, I didn't report it or publicly make an issue over it. I think now it was a mistake on my part to let that slide. I think that her and a few others on here would also do very well to live and let live. We all have different backgrounds, life experiences and ages. The internet hasn't existed for more than half of my lifetime and I certainly didn't grow up with video games and computers in the 1950's. I also do not belong to any other social networks other than my company's intranet where I'm the admin for one of the subforums. I normally keep myself to myself and expect the same from others. Also, this not typing in all capitals is a custom as opposed to a rule or a law. There is no obligation to follow it and no internet secret police will come to my door in the middle of the night to make me disappear for doing it.

One last point. In the overall scheme of things, my typing titles in all capital letters is not even an anthill. In spite of that, certain people here have turned in into a Mount Everest and it nearly destroyed our community. Is this crazy or what? I could understand how there would be a problem if I frequently used profanity, disrespected Rainbow Brite, was a bully and so on. Those things would certainly be worthy of comment and even maybe some outrage depending on what they were. Believe me there are far more important things in life to worry about than my typing a few words in all capitals every so often. Think about it.

Now let's hear from the rest of you...
Last edited by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

jazzycreations

LA LA CA NA DA !!

Post by jazzycreations »

I never am bothered by the all caps. It's just seems to be a trademark of yours. I automatically know it's your post. If it helps at all. It doesn't bother me any. The only times I'm ever bothered by anything written is when people seem to be rude to one another over silly things such as how they type or what styles they do & don't like. Who cares. :P Everyone is different & that's what makes life fun, that we all think differently, it shouldn't offend or scare anyone off. :bg:

silverorangetears

LA LA CA NA DA !!

Post by silverorangetears »

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel wrote:
SunSpire wrote:

"SunSpire"
EDITED SINCE POSTING...
First, I accept your apology and thank you for it. Not only that, it was totally unexpected and I appreciate the fact that you were decent enough to do that in public.

You are right, I am not shouting and no rudeness is intended when I do that. It's really a shame that people are conditioned to think like that just because they see a few (sometimes only one or two) words typed that way. I certainly do not type my posts in all capitals (which would in fact be rude), just the titles. Part of doing that is because it instantly identifies the topic as mine and part of it is a jab at certain people who are clueless about proper writing. Oddly (and rudely to my way of thinking), the first person to make this a public issue is by far the worst offender here in typing only in lower case. Worse yet, when I asked her why this was an issue for her in light of the fact that she herself never uses capitals she said she was just too lazy to be bothered. I was doubly astounded. First, she deliberately types in a way that is difficult to read and second, she has the gall to comment negatively about my typing style. If she can do that and no one is offended about it, why can't the rest of us do what ever we want when it comes to writing?

You see, it really is the same rule. Think about it. How much netiquette is involved when people intentionally write something in a way that is difficult to read? It's zero in my book. As much as I detest her style, I didn't report it or publicly make an issue over it. I think now it was a mistake on my part to let that slide. I think that her and a few others on here would also do very well to live and let live. We all have different backgrounds, life experiences and ages. The internet hasn't existed for more than half of my lifetime and I certainly didn't grow up with video games and computers in the 1950's. I also do not belong to any other social networks other than my company's intranet where I'm the admin for one of the subforums. I normally keep myself to myself and expect the same from others. Also, this not typing in all capitals is a custom as opposed to a rule or a law. There is no obligation to follow it and no internet secret police will come to my door in the middle of the night to make me disappear for doing it.

One last point. In the overall scheme of things, my typing titles in all capital letters is not even an anthill. In spite of that, certain people here have turned in into a Mount Everest and it nearly destroyed our community. Is this crazy or what? I could understand how there would be a problem if I frequently used profanity, disrespected Rainbow Brite, was a bully and so on. Those things would certainly be worthy of comment and even maybe some outrage depending on what they were. Believe me there are far more important things in life to worry about than my typing a few words in all capitals every so often. Think about it.

Now let's hear from the rest of you...
As someone who was purposely staying out of this one, thanks for bringing me up... owch.

As for your inability to follow simple requests by administration just because "you don't wanna!" .... meh

Continue to do what you do, at least that way it's easy to recognize it's your thread and can therefore be more easily ignored. I'm sure, if you don't like my writing style, it's easy enough to skip over; Though who knows, had you asked, I might have changed my style, had I known it offended you.

I do however think it's interesting that you've gone from "it's a journalistic thing, like newspapers!" to "it's to identify it as mine" to "it's a jab at people"...

It's become less about your annoying habit, that was once briefly mentioned (not attacked, the way you make it seem) but more about how you just don't want to do what has been mentioned by several people, and change your style.
I do agree though, there are more important things to worry about than you and your capitols.

Doesn't change how annoying it is to read though ^.^

Chibi Rachy

LA LA CA NA DA !!

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Interesting new pieces. I certainly hadn't seen those before.

Also...

Generally, it's not a good idea to go against an admin and decide to ignore the advice given to you. If you need a favor in the future, they'd be less likely to comply easily based on previous encounters. You brought another member into what was originally directed at you and so if you reported it now, I'm sure that Sunny would not so easily help. I'm not sure what newspaper you're reading, but usually only all caps are used anymore for very major events; newspapers capitalize things normally and do not use all caps for every day headlines. The only time I've ever seen all caps used on Internet forums would be by noobs and those creating a thread specifically for all caps posting. They aren't used by other forum members, as it is bad internet etiquette, which you seem to disregard because hey, it's the internet and no one's going to stop you. That's fine and well, but it does get you easily noticed...and often skipped over because it's immediately known to be you posting. With the good comes the bad, but as you told Sunny, you'll continue to do it anyway. Tsk.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire