1996 Rainbow Brite!!

Roxanne

1996 Rainbow Brite!!

Post by Roxanne »

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel wrote:Here you are, My Gen 2 1996-97 Rainbow Brite Doll Collection...

https://picasaweb.google.com/2013.sncb/RBG2#

Since you're new, I'll explain the Generations for you:

Gen 1 was the original Rainbow Brite dolls and toys that were launched in 1984 by Mattel and produced until 1987. Gen 1 has four subgenerations:

1A: The line started with large and small RB dolls, Red Butler, Canary Yellow, Patty O'Green, Murky Dismal, Lurky and 5 boy sprites.. A few months later came Indigo and Starlite. Then came toys and wall decorations.

1B: This started with a large Lurky, La La Orange, Shy Violet and Buddy Blue followed by a lot of other stuff.

1C: This was for the line of Dress Up dolls and their horses.

1D: This was for the Emotions line of lower priced dolls, sprites, Lurky and Starlite

Gen 2 was for the dolls made by Up Up and Away/Irwin in 1996 and 1997. It was not popular.

Gen 3 was made by Toy Play from 2003 to 2005. It was based on the Gen 1 dolls but did not copy them exactly.

Gen 4 were the 2010 Dolls. They were even less popular than the Gen 2 dolls were and only lasted for seven months. There were two subgenerations.

4A: Made by Playmates. Only three each of dolls, horses and sprites plus one extra RB doll. They made Rainbow and her two friends older than before, sort of like large Polly Pocket dolls.

4B: Made by Madame Alexander while the 4A dolls were in production. Expensive but high quality.

I have done extensive writing on here to explain the generational differences in greater detail plus the catalog numbers for most of the items. You can find that info in RB Discussion.

ABGRL!!!//TZGW!!!
Thanks for the help :happy:
I knew about them all, except for the gen 2 dolls for some reason!
My name is Roxanne.
I live in Belgium,
and I just Rainbow Brite!

:rbmoonglow:

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

1996 Rainbow Brite!!

Post by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel »

That's kind of strange because they were sold in Europe. They even had Dutch writing on the boxes, which even Gen 1 didn't have. Gens 3 and 4 were not sold over here.
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

Roxanne

1996 Rainbow Brite!!

Post by Roxanne »

Even though I live in Europe myself; I got all my information off the internet.
So it's not that surprising :happy:
Anyway, thanks again for the info, I am happy to meet these dolls!
Even though, to be honest, I just can't see Rainbow Brite in that doll... She looks so different!
But I do think I have seen that doll somewhere, maybe in a Flea Market or something.
My name is Roxanne.
I live in Belgium,
and I just Rainbow Brite!

:rbmoonglow:

Wardah

1996 Rainbow Brite!!

Post by Wardah »

I tend to think of the Color Crew as other friends of Rainbow that co-exist in a different part of Rainbow Land and are in charge of blending the basic rainbow colors the Color Kids mined from the Color Caves into other colors.

What colors are the hair on these dolls? Its hard to see them clearly in the pics I've seen.

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

1996 Rainbow Brite!!

Roxanne wrote:Even though I live in Europe myself; I got all my information off the internet.
So it's not that surprising :happy:
Anyway, thanks again for the info, I am happy to meet these dolls!
Even though, to be honest, I just can't see Rainbow Brite in that doll... She looks so different!
But I do think I have seen that doll somewhere, maybe in a Flea Market or something.
The Gen 2 dolls are Rainbow Brite only in their name. Actually, I like the idea that they wanted to unite all of the peoples of the world to live together in harmony and happiness. And I think the real Rainbow Brite would strongly agree with that idea. It's just that they took a generic doll and said she was Rainbow Brite. OK, they did give her rainbow hair, but it's not the same thing at all. She also doesn't have Starlite to fly around on and that's not good.

For all of the negative things that anyone can say about the Gen 2 dolls, I still like them and I think they are much better than the Gen 4 dolls.
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

Wardah

1996 Rainbow Brite!!

Post by Wardah »

I don't know why you skipped over my comment but I was really hoping since you have them that you can tell me what colors of hair the small friend dolls have that I can't see from the front since you can look from the top of the package and see the colors in the back. I really need to know cause I want to draw them so I need to know what colors to make the hair.

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

1996 Rainbow Brite!!

Wardah wrote:I don't know why you skipped over my comment but I was really hoping since you have them that you can tell me what colors of hair the small friend dolls have that I can't see from the front since you can look from the top of the package and see the colors in the back. I really need to know cause I want to draw them so I need to know what colors to make the hair.

A little higher up I posted a link to my Gen 2 photo album.

Wardah

1996 Rainbow Brite!!

Post by Wardah »

I know that but I can only see the front and back of the package. I can't pick them up and look through to see inside between the doll and the cardboard to see the hair colors. Going by the pictures I have seen there is a natural hair color along with streaks of three different colors. These are my guesses on the colors:

Cerise: green, purple, pink
Ebony: orange, yellow, red
Amber: green , yellow, ?
Indigo: indigo, orange, ?

I think loose dolls would be more useful but I don't think anyone else has them.

Rainbow Brite
Admin

1996 Rainbow Brite!!

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Wardah wrote:Cerise: green, purple, pink
Ebony: orange, yellow, red
You're right about these two, but I don't own the other two, sadly.
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

Wardah

1996 Rainbow Brite!!

Post by Wardah »

Blondine, you are the only other person here who has them. Please could you look at the dolls of the other two from other angles just to try and see what colors are hidden from my view? I think the top would be the best place to look since that's where the hair starts.