Thunder and Stars

Chibi Rachy

Re: Thunder and Stars/A Special Valentine

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Guess who actually finished a Valentine story before Valentine's Day? This fanfic author, that's who! I actually wrote this all in one go this evening. I started with a very basic idea and it expanded into what you're about to read. It turned out super sweet, which makes it perfect for this particular holiday.

A Special Valentine

Moonglo hummed softly to herself as she busied herself in the kitchen. Her face had smears of flour across it, and her dress was not much better in that sense. She stirred the mixture in the large bowl happily. It wasn’t often she was able to bake and bake alone. Either she had other things to take care of, or she was helping one of the other Color Kids or Tickled Pink or Rainbow bake. Today, however, she had secured the kitchen, asking for privacy. No one argued with her, or questioned why. They acknowledged her request and let her work.

Satisfied with the mixture, she pulled a large tray to her side. Then she dumped the mixture on the counter, and began rolling it out. Next came the cookie cutter, star shaped. The star shapes were then placed on the tray, which was then placed into the oven. The time passed quickly, as Moonglo worked to clean up her mess while they baked. The smell of fresh cookies wafted on the air, and smelled quite delicious.

Soon it was time to remove the cookies, and Moonglo carefully did so, letting them cool a bit before she topped them with her special mixture of colored sugar sprinkles. She smiled at her handiwork, and couldn’t resist picking up a warm cookie and eating it. The delicious mixture of sugar and dough melted in her mouth. She smiled, knowing exactly who would enjoy them just as much as she did.

Moonglo grabbed the basket nearby. It had been layered with cloth. Carefully, she laid the cookies inside and then covered the basket with another piece of cloth. As she washed up the rest of the dishes, she smiled as she thought of what would happen next. She noticed the sun beginning to set in the sky, and knew it would be soon. She couldn’t wait.

The trip to her room was uneventful. She breathed a sigh of relief. She had been afraid her surprise would have been spoiled if she’d been seen. However, no one was downstairs at the time. She was able to slip into her room and retrieve the other piece of her surprise. She’d been in contact with Plock, and this time he’d come through for her. She slipped the small gift into the basket and then headed out of the Color Castle.

By the time she reached their agreed meeting spot, the sky was streaked with brilliant pinks and oranges and yellows. Soon, she’d be off taking care of her nightly job. She had a feeling tonight would go quickly. She waited by the large tree, but didn’t have to wait for very long.

Laughter echoed nearby, and Moonglo would recognize that laugh anywhere. Stormy and Skydancer raced down from the clouds, and Moonglo presumed it had been a good day for Stormy.

“Come on, Skydancer! Let’s go!” she heard Stormy yell.

It wasn’t long before horse and rider stopped in front of Moonglo. Stormy slid from Skydancer’s back and with a pat, sent Skydancer on his way. “Hi, Moonglo,” said Stormy shyly.

Moonglo smiled back. “Hi, Stormy. Was it a good day on Earth?”

Stormy nodded, still smiling. “The storms were amazing. There was plenty of moisture in the air, and that helped in creating large clouds.” She then noticed the basket that Moonglo was carrying. “What is it?” she asked, pointing at the basket.

Moonglo looked down at her basket. She had thought about what she’d say, but now she couldn’t remember a word of it. “It’s something for you,” she replied. She looked up at Stormy. “I wanted to get you something.” She paused. Stormy’s face had a blank look. “For Valentine’s Day,” she added.

“You…you got me something?” asked Stormy.

It was well known that Stormy hated Valentine’s Day, but that only Rainbow knew the true reason. In previous seasons, Stormy had sulked off on her own. There had been the season that she had come to the party after the gift from Rainbow and the rest of the Kids. Stormy, in her own stubborn way, had stated she was only there for Moonglo’s star sprinkle cookies. She wouldn’t admit to anyone that she didn’t mind the company of Rainbow and the others as well.

“I know it’s early and that the party isn’t until later, but I didn’t want the others to see it,” explained Moonglo. She held out the basket, hoping Stormy would take it.

Stormy took the basket, and held it for a few moments. Slowly, she pinched the top of the cloth between two fingers and removed it. Instantly, the smell of star sprinkle cookies drifted out and Stormy inhaled the delicious scent. “My favorite cookies,” she stated.

She was about to reach in and grab a cookie to eat when she noticed the small wrapped parcel atop the cookies. It was wrapped in a blue satin cloth. Stormy set the basket down as she held the parcel in both hands, fingering the cloth. Carefully, she folded back the cloth, until it lay open in her palm. What was in the middle of the cloth, however, caught her eye. There rested a golden chain, shiny and polished. On the chain was a charm of a lightning bolt that connected to a star. She looked at Moonglo, but she couldn’t speak. She was at a loss for words.

“It’s a lightning bolt and a star, you and I,” answered Moonglo softly, hoping Stormy would speak. She hoped Stormy liked it. She didn’t want—

“I know,” whispered Stormy. “It’s beautiful. You shouldn’t have gotten me this. I don’t need any—“

“I wanted to,” interrupted Moonglo. She waited a moment, and then continued. “You’re special to me. I wanted to show you that.”

Stormy smiled, and removed the necklace from the cloth. “I don’t know how to put it on,” she said, a bit embarrassed.

Moonglo took the necklace from her and unhooked the clasp. She placed it around Stormy’s neck before hooking the clasp again. When she was finished, she stepped back and looked at Stormy, who was a bit red in the face. Moonglo giggled. “You want to hide it under your shirt, don’t you?”

“Y-yes but not because I don’t like it!” stated Stormy quickly.

Moonglo continued to giggle. “I know that. Go ahead.”

Stormy slipped the necklace inside her shirt and felt the cool metal against her skin. The necklace was where it belonged- close to her heart. She leaned over and kissed Moonglo, who embraced her in a hug. It was a quick, chaste kiss, but it conveyed Stormy’s feelings. That was all that mattered to Moonglo.

Stormy reached into the basket that she’d set on the ground and pulled out one of the star sprinkle cookies. She broke it in half, and handed Moonglo one of the pieces. Moonglo took it from her and together they walked hand in hand, each eating her half of the cookie as the night sky began to settle on Rainbow Land.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

Chibi Rachy

Re: Thunder and Stars/Rainbow Land Rescue, Pt. 1

Post by Chibi Rachy »

I've been busy. I started this last night, and it was only intended to be around 5 pages. However, once I got started, I found that more than five pages was necessary to tell the entire story and so I simply let my fingers fly. In the end, the story ended up being near 14 full pages. In keeping with the short story format, I've split this story into 3 parts so that each part is more or less 5 pages, depending on where an appropriate scene change was. Expect parts 2 and 3 in the future :)

Rainbow Land Rescue

Part 1

Moonglo yawned as she touched down in Rainbow Land. The night had slowly progressed as she and Nite Sprite decorated the sky and took care of their duty. Nite Sprite’s bag was much lighter than it had been, but the sky was beautiful, and the stars twinkled brilliantly. Moonglo was pleased with her handiwork. She stifled a yawn and stretched. Nite Sprite chattered on, and Moonglo smiled at him. Now that their work was finished, they could clean up and prepare more nite sprinkles before sunrise.

Meanwhile, Murky and Lurky were crouching in the bushes nearby. Murky used his binoculars to spy on Moonglo and Nite Sprite. He had failed before to capture her and take away her powers. That Rainbow brat had foiled his plans, as was the usual case. This time, he would not fail. He picked up his gloom gun, which he had laid at his side. He smiled evilly as he locked on his target. Now was his chance to test his newest gloom variation. He had figured out how to camouflage the gloom so that it appeared invisible. As long as his target had no idea he was in the vicinity, he could easily shoot them and then do as he pleased.

“Whatcha waiting for, Murky?” asked Lurky, a little too loudly.

Murky clamped his hand over Lurky’s mouth just as Moonglo turned and looked in their direction. “Shhhh!” he hissed.

“Did you hear that, Nite Sprite?” asked Moonglo, as she looked around her. She could have sworn she’d heard another voice.

Nite Sprite shook his head and shrugged. He hadn’t heard anything.

“That’s strange,” commented Moonglo. “Are you ready to head back to the mines?”

Nite Sprite nodded in agreement. He picked up his bag of nite sprinkles and offered a hand to Moonglo, who smiled and took it. She looked up to the sky. The first tendrils of sunrise were beginning to creep across the sky.

“That’s it… a little closer…” whispered Murky. There was a reason he’d picked this time of night. Sunrise was on its way, and Moonglo’s missing handiwork wouldn’t be noticed. The stars were supposed to be disappearing, after all. Rainbow Brite wouldn’t know anything until it was too late. The plan was too good! He pulled the trigger and heard the soft sound of the releasing gloom cloud.

Moonglo felt something cool wash over her, and she thought it was simply the wind. That is, until she began to feel light headed. “Oooh…I don’t feel so good, Nite Sprite,” she moaned softly.

Nite Sprite himself was feeling the same way. He wobbled back and forth before falling to the ground. He didn’t feel like carrying his bag anymore or decorating the sky. Why bother? It would only disappear once night ended anyway.

Sitting on the ground, Moonglo hugged her knees. What good was it to move? She didn’t have the energy to do anything. She didn’t want to do anything.

Murky pumped his fist in the air. “Yes! It worked!” He looked over to his companion, who was trying to catch a firefly. “You idiot! Pay attention!”

“Yes, Murky!” called Lurky, snapping to attention.

Murky handed him some rope and cloth. “Tie them both up! This time, I won’t fail. The night will be dark and gloomy by the time I’m through!”

Lurky trudged over to Moonglo and Nite Sprite who disregarded him, both in a stupor. Lurky tied Moonglo and Nite Sprite’s hands behind their backs. Then, he placed the cloth over each of their mouths. Bound and gagged, he pushed them toward Murky, who was waiting beside a wooden cart.

“In you go! Watch your step!” he remarked as he shoved both inside and latched the back door shut. He ran around to the front of the cart, which was connected to the Grunge Buggy. He pressed a button to activate the gloom gun on the cart. This would keep both Moonglo and Nite Sprite in a gloomy haze until they were back in the Pits. Only then would he turn off the gloom; no one would hear their pleas for help.

“We got ‘em, Murky!”

“Of course we did, banana brain!”

“What do we do now?”

“We go back to the Pits!” The sun was beginning to rise and Murky saw the light begin to take over the sky. “And hurry!”

Lurky ran for the Grunge Buggy and hopped in the driver’s seat. He turned the key in the ignition and the Grunge Buggy rumbled to life. Murky hopped into the passenger side car and turned around to look at his two captives. Lurky pressed his foot on the gas pedal and the wheels spun. Then the Grunge Buggy shot forward, on a direct course for the Pits.

Stormy raced across Rainbow Land on Skydancer. She didn’t have any business on Earth today, but she was prepping for a large storm. The land needed water to grow and produce, and Stormy would gladly provide. Stormy days were her favorites. Not only could she play in the clouds, but she also saw the world through a different light. Many thought rainy days were gloomy and depressing, but Stormy preferred to think of them as days were things were washed clean and fed. Besides, playing in the rain was fun. The cool water on her skin, her clothes sticking to her, slipping and sliding in mud puddles… all of it pleased Stormy, much as a sunny day might to any other person.

Satisfied that there was enough moisture in the air, Stormy raised her hand toward the sky. Her fingers twitched as she called upon the clouds to gather and grow, each one becoming thicker and thicker with moisture. The sky began to darken, and with a crook of the finger, the rain began to fall gently on the land. Stormy tilted her face toward the sky and let the water drops run down her cheeks, cool and wet. Skydancer whinnied happily. Together, the two of them slowly made their way back toward the Color Castle, Stormy jumping in any mud puddles she came across.

Some time later, a muddied Stormy pushed open the large door and entered the Color Castle. Someone had laid paper and towels by the door, trying to keep the mud and water from being tracked throughout the Castle. Stormy hated having to be so cleanly, but she took off her boots and set them on the paper. Then she picked up a large fluffy violet towel and began drying herself and wiping off most of the mud. She discarded the towel in a nearby bin, and picked up the paper that her boots rested on. She made her way to her room, and then took a hot shower to finish cleaning off.

When Stormy emerged from the lower level of the Color Castle later that night, she found Rainbow speaking with Shy Violet. She looked worried. Stormy moved closer, wondering what had happened.

“Stormy!” called Rainbow when she caught sight of the girl. “Have you seen Moonglo or Nite Sprite today?”

Stormy shook her head. Today had been one of those days where the two of them did not cross paths. “No, I haven’t seen her since yesterday. I left early this morning and just got back this evening. Shouldn’t she be taking care of the sky?”

Rainbow nodded. “She should. I’m just not sure if she is. I’ve not seen her or Nite Sprite, and now that it’s raining, I can’t tell if there are any stars, or see the moon.”

“I’m sure she’s fine,” replied Stormy. “The storm will pass soon and then you’ll be able to see.”

“My predictions would guess that your storm will pass before the middle of the night, according to my weather instruments,” spoke up Shy Violet. “We’ll be able to see clearly then.”

“All right,” replied Rainbow.

Deep in the Pits, Murky had locked Moonglo and Nite Sprite in a cell. He left them tied and gagged, but turned off the gloom. They wouldn’t be able to attract any attention, no matter what they tried. “I’ll deal with you soon,” he had remarked, cackling.

Moonglo and Nite Sprite had come around not too long after he’d left, only to find themselves bound and locked away. With a sinking feeling, Moonglo realized exactly where she was. Again she had been captured and taken by Murky, and this time, she didn’t realize it. This time, he’d taken Nite Sprite as well, so no one could tell Rainbow she was missing. She wondered if they already knew, or if they still had yet to figure it out.

Stormy! Stormy had to realize it, right. Almost instantly, she banished that idea from her mind. There were times when she wouldn’t see Stormy for an entire day, so Stormy would simply think that she was still all right. She lowered her head. Someone would figure out she was gone. Beside her, Nite Sprite struggled with his bonds. Moonglo tried to speak to him, but all that came out was a muffled sound.

Murky worked quietly in his laboratory. He had been mixing various chemicals and types of gloom, creating the perfect concoction to rid Moonglo of her powers. His idea to drain her via sunlight the last time had not worked very well. He’d forgotten to take into consideration that it was nighttime. No, he wouldn’t take that route again. This time, he’d take care of her a different way.

Lurky entered the laboratory, and bumbled over to the table. He watched Murky, even putting his eyes up close to the various bottles, studying their contents in his own way. Murky ignored him for the most part, still keeping an eye on him in case he clumsily broke something. “Murky, whatcha making?”

Murky took a deep breath before answering Lurky. “If you must know, it’s a concoction that will rid Moonglo of her powers. Then the night will be dark and gloomy, just as I want it to be.”

“Why not use the sun again?”

“Do you see any sun?” asked Murky as he gestured outside.

Lurky scratched his head. “Well, no Murky.”

“Then that’s why we aren’t using sun,” retorted Murky as he mixed together two bottles. Wisps of smoke rose from the combination.

“Uh huh…” replied Lurky, scratching his head. Murky had a feeling that he really didn’t understand after all.

Stormy felt herself being shaken hard. She thought it was part of a bad dream, and so she simply shrugged and snuggled deeper into the blankets. However, the shaking didn’t stop. “Stormy! Stormy!” whispered the voice urgently.

“Huh?” asked Stormy, still full of sleep.

“Wake up! The storm’s over, but the sky is pitch black. Something’s wrong!” the voice whispered in the same urgent manner.

Stormy sat up in bed, rubbing her eyes. Her brain registered the voice as Rainbow. “Okay,” she replied, her brain not fully alert to what a dark sky meant.

“Something’s happened to Moonglo.”

That sentence fully woke Stormy. She focused on the voice. “Murky,” she stated.

“That’s what I was thinking,” agreed Rainbow. “He tried before… I think he’s going to try again.”

“We’ll stop him,” replied Stormy.

She slipped from bed and headed for the door. She felt a hand on her wrist. “Stormy, wait,” called Rainbow. “You can’t go without a plan.”

“We’ve got to get Moonglo back.”

“You’re not going to rush to the Pits. If Murky gets you, you won’t be able to do anything for Moonglo.”

Stormy sighed. When Rainbow had mentioned that Moonglo was still missing, her heart had dropped into her stomach. The thought of Murky doing anything to harm Moonglo did not sit well with her. She clenched her fist and counted to herself. Then, she answered Rainbow. “All right. What’s the plan?”

Moonglo woke, startling herself from sleep. She wasn’t sure when she’d dozed off, nor how much time had passed. Nite Sprite was still asleep. She listened closely for sounds or signs of Murky, but heard nothing. Perhaps he’d dozed off as well. Maybe he was still working on what to do with her and Nite Sprite. Where is everyone? Did they figure out that I’m gone yet? I hope they hurry.

She tried to watch the door, and keep an eye out for Murky. However, her eyelids grew heavy, and her head started to droop. She’d jerk every so often, waking up. Just as quickly, she’d start to nod off again, until her eyes closed and she didn’t move anymore. Her breathing evened out as her body rested.

Nite Sprite woke shortly after Moonglo drifted off. Once he saw his surroundings, he tried not to freak out, which was very hard not to do. He was still bound and gagged, and Moonglo was in the same situation. He wanted to get her attention, but she seemed to be sleeping. This was not a place he wanted to be in for very long.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

Tom-sprite

Re: Thunder and Stars

Post by Tom-sprite »

This valentine-story is sooooo cute ! ^^ :-D
:lol:
...such an necklace would suit Stormy well ! ;)

I will read the other story too ! :)

Chibi Rachy

Re: Thunder and Stars

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Tom-sprite wrote:This valentine-story is sooooo cute ! ^^ :-D
:lol:
...such an necklace would suit Stormy well ! ;)

I will read the other story too ! :)
Glad you enjoyed the Valentine story. It was certainly fun to write. I think you'll really like Rainbow Land Rescue as well.