Story Requests and Ideas

Chibi Rachy

Story Requests and Ideas

Post by Chibi Rachy »

All right, so I thought that maybe it'd be fun to have a sort of thread where users could post ideas for Rainbow Brite themed stories that fanfic authors could then decide if the idea was suited to them. There's no guarantee that the idea would be written, but would merely be added to a pool that fanfic authors could choose from. Fanfic authors should credit the person who gave the idea in the first place.

I was inspired to do a thread of this sort from the Stormy/Murky discussion thread. It's where I got the idea for my next long-shot fic, and is something I never would have thought of on my own.

So here's the deal: Got an idea you want to see written, but don't think you're capable of doing it? Post it here and maybe you'll be surprised. Again, there is no guarantee your idea will be written.

Use this form:

Fic type: Long-shot, few-shot, or one-shot (explanation at the bottom)
Character/s focused on: if applicable
Idea:

Fic Type Explanation
Long-shot: Story spanning many chapters, usually 4 or more
Few-shot: Story that can be told in 2-3 chapters
One-shot: Story that is told in one chapter; sometimes a sequel is written or an epilogue given

"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

Chibi Rachy

Re: Story Requests and Ideas

Post by Chibi Rachy »

I decided to bring this thread back to life, partly because it was on the last page, and mostly because I have an idea that I wanted to see what others thought about it.

So lately I've been browsing Rangerboard, which I've been a member of for a few years, but mostly started going back to because of the relaunch of MMPR and it's reversioned edition. I started exploring the board and came across a fanfic that, like many others, attempts to rewrite MMPR. It follows the episodes, but really delves into the story, breaks it apart, and gives the characters more development. It's not just a novelization of the show. I read through the first chapter, the first part for Day of the Dumpster, and was amazed. The fanfic author had taken the show, kept many of the aspects of the episode, and added more things, better story, and more detail.

I got to wondering about this in relation to my own work and Rainbow Brite. Many have tried to put their own twist on the Rainbow Brite story, usually in comic form. I have yet to come across one done in fanfic form (based on the sites I browse). Stories are told differently, but keep to the characters as much as they can. I wondered if perhaps I could retell Rainbow Brite, but in a darker fashion. I'd want to keep the characters the same (yes, I love tormenting my characters), but I want to give the villains a makeover, especially Murky. I believe he is very capable of being a darker villain and I tend to write him that way as well.

I do wonder if I am ready to take on something like this. I don't know if I will. But I'd like to see if anyone would be interested in a retell of the story itself in a bit of a darker fashion. If you've read my stories, you have an idea of what I'd want to do. Please let me know.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

pinkpuff

Story Requests and Ideas

Post by pinkpuff »

I had an idea similar to this about a year ago (a "darker revamp"), though not much has come of it yet.

Mine involved quite a significant departure from the original though, including no Murky or Lurky whatsoever. Also no Earth (and thus no Brian)...

I've only recently started actually writing down any of my ideas though. I'm not much of a writer, but I'm hoping something will eventually coalesce into a coherent story...

I haven't read yours yet but I will soon. Maybe even tonight! In any case I know from your other work that you are a fantastic writer and I know you will do it justice.

Chibi Rachy

Story Requests and Ideas

Post by Chibi Rachy »

pinkpuff wrote:I had an idea similar to this about a year ago (a "darker revamp"), though not much has come of it yet.

Mine involved quite a significant departure from the original though, including no Murky or Lurky whatsoever. Also no Earth (and thus no Brian)...

I've only recently started actually writing down any of my ideas though. I'm not much of a writer, but I'm hoping something will eventually coalesce into a coherent story...

I haven't read yours yet but I will soon. Maybe even tonight! In any case I know from your other work that you are a fantastic writer and I know you will do it justice.
Everyone starts somewhere though and it is interesting to see everyone's takes on the original stories. I didn't get very far with the rewrite I did, but I got a good bit done before I stopped...Simoun interfered! By my other works, are you referring to my other RB stuff, or the other fandom works I post in my journal?

pinkpuff

Story Requests and Ideas

Post by pinkpuff »

Chibi Rachy wrote: Everyone starts somewhere though and it is interesting to see everyone's takes on the original stories. I didn't get very far with the rewrite I did, but I got a good bit done before I stopped...Simoun interfered! By my other works, are you referring to my other RB stuff, or the other fandom works I post in my journal?
Your other RB stuff. I'm not really into those other fandoms so I didn't take the time to read those, though I'm sure you're just as good a writer on those as on RB.

Chibi Rachy

Story Requests and Ideas

Post by Chibi Rachy »

pinkpuff wrote:
Chibi Rachy wrote: Everyone starts somewhere though and it is interesting to see everyone's takes on the original stories. I didn't get very far with the rewrite I did, but I got a good bit done before I stopped...Simoun interfered! By my other works, are you referring to my other RB stuff, or the other fandom works I post in my journal?
Your other RB stuff. I'm not really into those other fandoms so I didn't take the time to read those, though I'm sure you're just as good a writer on those as on RB.
Ah gotcha. I just wanted to see what you were up to reading :P Do let me know what you think on the RB retelling :) I'm not sure when I'll write on it again, but who knows? Lost Storms needs finished anyway XD

Charles Xavier

Post by Charles Xavier »

Chibi Rachy wrote:I decided to bring this thread back to life, partly because it was on the last page, and mostly because I have an idea that I wanted to see what others thought about it.

So lately I've been browsing Rangerboard, which I've been a member of for a few years, but mostly started going back to because of the relaunch of MMPR and it's reversioned edition. I started exploring the board and came across a fanfic that, like many others, attempts to rewrite MMPR. It follows the episodes, but really delves into the story, breaks it apart, and gives the characters more development. It's not just a novelization of the show. I read through the first chapter, the first part for Day of the Dumpster, and was amazed. The fanfic author had taken the show, kept many of the aspects of the episode, and added more things, better story, and more detail.

I got to wondering about this in relation to my own work and Rainbow Brite. Many have tried to put their own twist on the Rainbow Brite story, usually in comic form. I have yet to come across one done in fanfic form (based on the sites I browse). Stories are told differently, but keep to the characters as much as they can. I wondered if perhaps I could retell Rainbow Brite, but in a darker fashion. I'd want to keep the characters the same (yes, I love tormenting my characters), but I want to give the villains a makeover, especially Murky. I believe he is very capable of being a darker villain and I tend to write him that way as well.

I do wonder if I am ready to take on something like this. I don't know if I will. But I'd like to see if anyone would be interested in a retell of the story itself in a bit of a darker fashion. If you've read my stories, you have an idea of what I'd want to do. Please let me know.
Interesting. So you want to basically reboot RB, is that correct (a la Batman Begins)? If anybody's capable of being darker and more menacing, I'd say it'd be Stormy. If I could redo anything on RB, I'd really love to make Stormy a tragic hero, who in time becomes a psychotic nut...or maybe an extreme right-wing anti-hero who brutally murders enemies purely out of justice (in her own meaning), something that RB would reject completely.

I don't know how you could make Murky darker. For me, it seems like you never can take the guy seriously.

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Charles Xavier wrote:Interesting. So you want to basically reboot RB, is that correct (a la Batman Begins)? If anybody's capable of being darker and more menacing, I'd say it'd be Stormy. If I could redo anything on RB, I'd really love to make Stormy a tragic hero, who in time becomes a psychotic nut...or maybe an extreme right-wing anti-hero who brutally murders enemies purely out of justice (in her own meaning), something that RB would reject completely.

I don't know how you could make Murky darker. For me, it seems like you never can take the guy seriously.
Yeah, I did want to reboot the series in my own way, keeping to the show, but adding in my own twists to it. I never did finish the BoRL eps though because I switched to working in another fandom for the time being, for a variety of reasons. I still work on Lost Storms because I do want it finished and I do believe in Stormy having her own background story. I suppose I'd continue working in RB if a good idea came to me because I haven't lost interest in the fandom or the characters; I just have more of a tie to the other fandom currently, especially since its fic base is smaller.

It's easy to make Murky darker, and I've had a bit of fun doing so with Lost Storms. My theory behind it is that he become more confident in himself until the end of my story, which causes him to lose faith in his actions, and try the silliest of things. I don't think I could make Stormy very dark, but the idea for the retelling was that she would create plenty of problems for Rainbow before reluctantly helping out. I did want to explain Moonglo's background and Tickled Pink's as well.

I don't know if I'd ever finish it, but there are a few bits of it posted here if you wanted to check it out.

Charles Xavier

Post by Charles Xavier »

Chibi Rachy wrote:
Charles Xavier wrote:Interesting. So you want to basically reboot RB, is that correct (a la Batman Begins)? If anybody's capable of being darker and more menacing, I'd say it'd be Stormy. If I could redo anything on RB, I'd really love to make Stormy a tragic hero, who in time becomes a psychotic nut...or maybe an extreme right-wing anti-hero who brutally murders enemies purely out of justice (in her own meaning), something that RB would reject completely.

Yeah, I did want to reboot the series in my own way, keeping to the show, but adding in my own twists to it. I never did finish the BoRL eps though because I switched to working in another fandom for the time being, for a variety of reasons. I still work on Lost Storms because I do want it finished and I do believe in Stormy having her own background story. I suppose I'd continue working in RB if a good idea came to me because I haven't lost interest in the fandom or the characters; I just have more of a tie to the other fandom currently, especially since its fic base is smaller.

It's easy to make Murky darker, and I've had a bit of fun doing so with Lost Storms. My theory behind it is that he become more confident in himself until the end of my story, which causes him to lose faith in his actions, and try the silliest of things. I don't think I could make Stormy very dark, but the idea for the retelling was that she would create plenty of problems for Rainbow before reluctantly helping out. I did want to explain Moonglo's background and Tickled Pink's as well.

I don't know if I'd ever finish it, but there are a few bits of it posted here if you wanted to check it out.
Physically speaking, you can make Stormy darker. Add some scars, her costume shredded and torn, and make her face more brutish and beaten up, I think you might have something there. ;)

You mentioned there are comic forms of RB around. Would it be possible to have a look at them? Do you have some links?

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Charles Xavier wrote:Physically speaking, you can make Stormy darker. Add some scars, her costume shredded and torn, and make her face more brutish and beaten up, I think you might have something there. ;)

You mentioned there are comic forms of RB around. Would it be possible to have a look at them? Do you have some links?
Yes, physically speaking, Stormy could be made darker in that sense, making her appear as though she's struggled to get to the point where she is today.

There are comic forms, but I don't have links on me. DevArt has one I found while ago. In the fanfic section here, if you look for a thread by Fanchan, it has the story form she wanted to use for her doujinshi. The story didn't have an ending yet, but it did have a pretty good start.