Hi, I don't bite

Chibi Rachy

Re: Hi, I don't bite

Post by Chibi Rachy »

J3llyb3ans wrote:
Chibi Rachy wrote:
That totally sucks. I'm not familiar with that blogging site. Is there any way you can search FAQ's on the site to block particular users, or ban anonymous comments? It won't keep everyone away on a public blog, but it might help to cut down on things.
I found instructions for moderating comments. That should be helpful. I'm going to check on options for blocking users.
Yeah, that's similar to livejournal. I take it the feature allows you to choose whether or not the comment is seen by the public and is hidden otherwise. It probably will be more effective than blocking users, since the spammers just tend to create alternate identities. It of course doesn't keep you from being able to see the comments.

Truthfully I'm surprised they haven't tried to invade my livejournal yet. Then again, my journal is set to prevent anonymous comments and most all of the entries are locked to a custom group. There still are public entries though from 2005. Good luck keeping the spam brats away. Hopefully, your precautions will deter them.
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

J3llyb3ans

Post by J3llyb3ans »

Chibi Rachy wrote:
J3llyb3ans wrote:
Chibi Rachy wrote:
That totally sucks. I'm not familiar with that blogging site. Is there any way you can search FAQ's on the site to block particular users, or ban anonymous comments? It won't keep everyone away on a public blog, but it might help to cut down on things.
I found instructions for moderating comments. That should be helpful. I'm going to check on options for blocking users.
Yeah, that's similar to livejournal. I take it the feature allows you to choose whether or not the comment is seen by the public and is hidden otherwise. It probably will be more effective than blocking users, since the spammers just tend to create alternate identities. It of course doesn't keep you from being able to see the comments.

Truthfully I'm surprised they haven't tried to invade my livejournal yet. Then again, my journal is set to prevent anonymous comments and most all of the entries are locked to a custom group. There still are public entries though from 2005. Good luck keeping the spam brats away. Hopefully, your precautions will deter them.
Yeah. It works pretty much like that. There are also several levels of blocking it allows. I chose to only allow comments from people with Google accounts, but I don't think that would cut it down too much. I could also select to only get comments from other bloggers, which may be much better, but may also limit people wanting to comment. Moderating comments seems good enough for now.

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

J3llyb3ans wrote:Yeah. It works pretty much like that. There are also several levels of blocking it allows. I chose to only allow comments from people with Google accounts, but I don't think that would cut it down too much. I could also select to only get comments from other bloggers, which may be much better, but may also limit people wanting to comment. Moderating comments seems good enough for now.
Thanks for the heads up though. Now I need to work on locking those other entries. At least now I have a bit of incentive to do so. Let us know how it works out for you.

Edit: Finally finished locking the rest of the entries on my journal so that the only public entry is the welcome entry. And even on that entry I set it to screen all comments. So if the spammer brats see this, they should know they won't have much luck with me. After all, what fun is it to spam someone where no one sees it?
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

J3llyb3ans

Post by J3llyb3ans »

Chibi Rachy wrote:
J3llyb3ans wrote:Yeah. It works pretty much like that. There are also several levels of blocking it allows. I chose to only allow comments from people with Google accounts, but I don't think that would cut it down too much. I could also select to only get comments from other bloggers, which may be much better, but may also limit people wanting to comment. Moderating comments seems good enough for now.
Thanks for the heads up though. Now I need to work on locking those other entries. At least now I have a bit of incentive to do so. Let us know how it works out for you.

Edit: Finally finished locking the rest of the entries on my journal so that the only public entry is the welcome entry. And even on that entry I set it to screen all comments. So if the spammer brats see this, they should know they won't have much luck with me. After all, what fun is it to spam someone where no one sees it?
Good to know. Sounds like you're prepaired. :) Here's to neither of us getting spammed.

WishBear2001

Post by WishBear2001 »

Bad news, my mom is not protecting my computer enough. When I took a nap today, she let the kids on and they spammed Ty's Toybox. I will "pretend play" as if I'm homeschooling and they will stay off. How do I set a hard password the kids can't unlock?

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

WishBear2001 wrote:Bad news, my mom is not protecting my computer enough. When I took a nap today, she let the kids on and they spammed Ty's Toybox. I will "pretend play" as if I'm homeschooling and they will stay off. How do I set a hard password the kids can't unlock?
Depends on your operating system, but you can simply set a screensaver and have it disappear only with a password input. You go to the desktop and right click, clicking properties. Select screensaver. On that screen, some of hte operating systems have the option to "on resume, password protect". You select that, and then select the screensaver to appear after 1 minute of the mouse being idle.

If you don't have that, then it's a matter of password protecting the user account (XP and Vista). Start-->Control Panel-->User Accounts. You can change the password here. Then when you're done on the computer you simply hit Start and select the shutdown option that logs you off the account. To log back on, you have to enter the password.

And a note on passwords. Make it a combination of hard to guess letters and numbers. Short one word passwords that link to hobbies/interests do not keep you safe from hacking.

If any of this still confuses you, google it. It is your responsibility to keep the kids off, not your mom's. She won't be the one bothered when your IP address ends up banned from sites that get spammed that you enjoy.

alexanderbrite

Post by alexanderbrite »

SunSpire wrote:This user was a spammer, not a noob.

Seems like whoever is doing this doesn't give up easily ...

"SunSpire"

OMGoodness I feel so embarassed lol I had no idea! I'm glad you caught onto the spammer. Take care,

Alex
A L E X A N D E R B R I T E