Memoirs of a Young Fan

FanChan

Memoirs of a Young Fan

Post by FanChan »

Hello! I've put off joining this forum for a few years now; don't ask why, I don't really know @-@ But, now's as good a time as any.

I was born after the initial rush of the Rainbow Brite craze, but bless my parents, it was one of the shows they bought and rented-then-taped for me as a kid (I didn't watch tv, just tapes). I had a bunch of the dolls, and even a little plastic/rubber Rainbow Brite that I'm sure I still have around here somewhere....
Even when I was only four, I watched them so much I had them memorized. I used to sit on my rocking horse and pretend I was in the race while watching Horse of a Different Color. Great, great fun.

Around high school, the creative bug hit me, and I really got into writing and drawing, and it didn't take long for the desire to make a newer, updated Rainbow Brite, a story that those of us who grew up with her could thoroughly enjoy. There's just something about Rainbow Brite, something quietly impressive about her. Like the Monstro Murk episode where she winds up in the bottle. She never worries, quietly biding her time, mocking Murky all the way. She's just a truly kick-ass kind of character. The chance to revive her, if only for a few people, is a chance that's gnawed at me the past few years. Finally, finally, I feel I have the skills enough to go through with it.

Sooo, I'm working on a RB doujinshi - or fan comic. Once I start posting it online, I'll make sure to leave a link around here somewhere.

It won't be just any story. There are so many unanswered questions within the series, things little kids wouldn't think about, but now that I'm grown up, well, I think about them. Where did Wisp come from? Was she really from Earth, or somewhere else? Where'd Starlight come from? What is Rainbow Brite, and what happened to the last one?

The only question I probably won't try to come up with an answer for is how they run about in space. Without space suits. I'll leave that much mystery to the series xD

But anyway! I digress. I hope, despite the anime style I've given it, which is meant to appeal to a larger audience, everyone here will appreciate the story itself. I'd love that a lot.

To the makers of this website, THANK-YOU! I feel like I've finally come home ^__^

Dialga-Brite

Re: Memoirs of a Young Fan

Post by Dialga-Brite »

welcome. I'm dialga-brite, I like Rainbow Brite, He-man/She-ra, My Little Pony, Pokemon, American Girl dolls. Hope you have a great time, everyone here is super nice! :)
Number of Pinks in my Tickled Pink Sanctuary: 56
Moonglos: 6
Dress up Rainbow Brites: 9

Major Ursa

Post by Major Ursa »

Welcome aboard! I'm Major Ursa from Highland Springs, Virginia. I also like Nascar auto racing, Microsoft Train Simulator, collecting die-cast vehicles, collecting teddy bears, model building, and other cartoons. Enjoy your stay.
Rainbow brite fan since 1984.

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Your comic sounds interesting and I'd love to read it once you start posting it. I've seen some fanfics online try to answer some of those questions, but they just didn't seem very satisfying so hopefully yours will spin a better tale of answers :)

I'm Rachel, by the way. I'm not so good at drawing, but I do do fanfiction and have since 2001. I am currently attempting a Rainbow Brite fanfic myself after spending a couple years in the Power Rangers genre.

Welcome to the board!
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

FanChan

Post by FanChan »

Thanks for the warm welcome! Since everyone posted their other likes... I'm also a huge My Little Pony fan, and still have all of my ponies I collected throughout my childhood. I lived in Japan when I was little, so I love all things Japanese, and I even teach a class on how to draw manga. I'm also a novelist-hopeful, working on my first few books in a series I suspect will take my whole life to write.

Rachel: Thanks for the interest ^-^ My novel series is about answering the unanswered questions of our history via a little bit of fantasy, so this sort of thing seemed right up my alley. I sure hope my answers are a little more satisfying o.o;;; Hehe. We'll see. My biggest worry is capturing their characters just right. I normally steer way clear of fan-fiction because I hate the thought of portraying someone else's character in a way that the original author/artist never would have. *crosses fingers* Here's hoping, ne?

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

One can only try their best :) It's always good to have multiple views on the history that was never told. Usually when I do fanfiction I try to stay true to the characters while presenting a new storyline. Only time I've branched from this is when writing femslash in the PR genre. If I do anything, it's make a storyline darker than what was originally portrayed. With RB though, I've found that you lose sight of the original story if you stray too far or make it too dark. For some reason, it just doesn't work with this fandom
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

Rainbow Brite
Admin

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Welcome!! Can't wait to see/read your fan comic :D
~Katy Cartee Haile~
RainbowBrite.net

FanChan

Post by FanChan »

Yaay, thank-you! ^__^
"I hope you know what you're doing, Rainbow."
"You still doubt me, after all this time?"
"I don't doubt," Krys said as he paused at the door. "I worry."

-Excerpt from my yet unnamed RB doujinshi.

Wolf Ranger

Post by Wolf Ranger »

Welcome, I'm Wolf Ranger. I'm also hardly ever here these days O_O()

FanChan

Post by FanChan »

Thanks for the welcome ^^; Just don't disappear!
"I hope you know what you're doing, Rainbow."
"You still doubt me, after all this time?"
"I don't doubt," Krys said as he paused at the door. "I worry."

-Excerpt from my yet unnamed RB doujinshi.