Naming of Sprites

Chibi Rachy

Naming of Sprites

Post by Chibi Rachy »

All right. So Fanchan and I were having one of our discussions that jumped from daily life to Rainbow Brite and back again. Somehow we got onto the sprites and then the baby sprites and their coloring. This led to questioning how sprites are named.

Everyone knows that all the Color Kid sprites, Nite Sprite, and Twink have names. But what about the rest of the sprites? How do they get names? Are they given names that refer to "tiny", such as the product line did (yes we realize that they probably gave them to them because it was merchandise)?

So we have a theory and based on both our ideas and some of Dinosaurs, we present a sprite naming theory.

All sprites are born as female. Within the first year, gender develops fully, and sprites are either girls or boys. This idea comes from the product line, which shows the babies as girls, ie eye lashes, which is the typical toy way of distinguishing boys from girls. Rubber ducks do this and you can clearly tell boys from girls. Once a gender is finalized, then the babies can be named.

This next part comes from Dinosaurs,which if you'll remember, the parents must take the child to the Chief Elder to be officially named. They do not name their child once it hatches from the egg, but here gender is already pre-determined. This is how Baby Sinclair received not one, but two names (the first being "Ugh-Ugh-I'm-Dying-You-Idiot Sinclair"). So in true fashion, we would continue such a theory with each sprite taking part in an official naming ceremony, spear-headed by Rainbow Brite each Spring. It is Rainbow Land's way of officially welcoming the season with the birth of new sprites and the naming of babies that are now officially 1 year old. Whoever holds the title of Rainbow Brite would be the one to bestow the names, as Twink, Nite Sprite, and the Color Kids' sprites already have names.

So...discuss our crazy theory/idea :)
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

FanChan

Re: Naming of Sprites

Post by FanChan »

Just thought I'd add in that we came to the conclusion they're all born female because all four of the baby sprites were girls.
"I hope you know what you're doing, Rainbow."
"You still doubt me, after all this time?"
"I don't doubt," Krys said as he paused at the door. "I worry."

-Excerpt from my yet unnamed RB doujinshi.

Adria

Post by Adria »

Sorry to hijack, but who is nite-sprite, and where did he come from?

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

Adria wrote:Sorry to hijack, but who is nite-sprite, and where did he come from?
Nite Sprite is Moonglo's helper sprite, the dark blue sprite with the crescent moons for antennae and not stars. We don't know where he came from, only can speculate he was a special sprite who was born
"If you're obsessed with your yesterday then you're destined to repeat it." - Ariel of Icon for Hire

FanChan

Post by FanChan »

Something else interesting about the baby sprite plushes is that they're dual-coloured, as though their parents were two different colours and so were born with both colours - one on the front, one on the back. I'm thinking that maybe they're all born that way (so long as the parents are two different colours) and during the name ceremony, Rainbow also decides which colour they'll be. Or perhaps that's decided by their gender, and Rainbow simply finishes the colouring process.

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

FanChan wrote:Something else interesting about the baby sprite plushes is that they're dual-coloured, as though their parents were two different colours and so were born with both colours - one on the front, one on the back. I'm thinking that maybe they're all born that way (so long as the parents are two different colours) and during the name ceremony, Rainbow also decides which colour they'll be. Or perhaps that's decided by their gender, and Rainbow simply finishes the colouring process.
Hmm you're right. Or, like a baby animal, it grows into the more dominant color before the naming ceremony and loses the hair of the color that is more non-dominant.

FanChan

Post by FanChan »

Yeah, that's a possibility. I like the idea of Rainbow changing them, though :P

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

haha should we give the Color Belt such a power?

FanChan

Post by FanChan »

Her Rainbow made Brian all different colours, didn't it? I don't see how being able to change the colour of a sprite is much different.

Chibi Rachy

Post by Chibi Rachy »

True. It did the same to Lurky too. I suppose the color selection is another part... Rainbow lets the Belt get a feel for which color fits the sprite best