2X SABINE S!!

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

2X SABINE S!!

Post by Blondine Arc-En-Ciel »

Two Times Sabine S.

So who is Sabine S?

She is a German woman (Sabine Schneider) and one of my co-workers. We work in different buildings and our paths normally only cross once or twice a month. Near the end of 2009 I had to go to a class that she taught. Afterwards I stayed behind to ask her a question or two about the material. She answered and then I said that I wanted to ask her a question about something unrelated to the class, if that was all right. She agreed and I asked her if she knew who Regina Regenbogen was.

"Regina Regenbogen? It has been a very long time but I remember that name. Was she a book or something?"

I explained to her who Regina Regenbogen was and that one of her friends was named Sabine Sonnenstrahl. Now you can see who the two people named Sabine S. are but there's more to this story.

In the English-speaking world, the Sabine Sonnenstrahl doll is called Canary Yellow and she of course has blonde hair. Sabine Schneider also has blonde hair and she has the same sunny personality as her namesake. Needless to say, I thought that it was really special to meet a real live person from the Rainbow Brite series. As it turned out, I had a Schliech figurine from Germany of Sabine but it was not in the best condition any more. I gave it a full repaint and made her look better than new. I wrapped her up and gave it to the real Sabine for Christmas 2009 along with a box of chocolates. She rather liked that and so I decided to find an MIB Canary/Sabine doll for her in the European box.

I did find one in nice condition for her during 2010 and wrapped it in holiday paper and put it in my wardrobe. And forgot about it. I found it back a week ago but she was gone for the holidays. I tried to give it to her yesterday but she was working in a different location. I brought it to her late this morning. I had it in a bag so she couldn't see what it was. I walked up to her desk and we exchanged greetings. She asked what she could do for me and I presented her with the bag and said "Open this."

She laughed and took the present out of the bag. She started to open it but befoe she got very far she told me that she thought she knew what it was. I told her that she was correct and waited for her to remove the wrapping. She was really amazed and seemed quite happy when she looked herself over. On the back was a message in German that I wrote on three sticky notes. It started 'Hello, Sabine' and explained about the doll and mentioned that it should be kept away from direct sunlight. It also said the doll was over 25 years old and really should not be removed from her original sealed box. The note ended with 'Your friend, Sabine.' She was impressed that I took the time to do that, even if i did use an online translator. She said the doll would become her "Lucky Penny" and that she would take good care of it.

We are not quite done with this little story. I know an American RB collector with the same last name that Sabine has. I mentioned that to Sabine in the past and she thought that was really wonderful, so there is yet another Rainbow Brite connection to this story.

Thus ended our happy day in Rainbow Land or Regenbogenland, as both Sabines say it and spell it. And by the way, "Sonnenstrahl" means Sunbeam.
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

Wardah

2X SABINE S!!

Post by Wardah »

Now you made me curious of the other character's names and meanings in german.

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

2X SABINE S!!

Try Google Translate...
Blondine et moi!!!//Rainbow Brite and me!!!//Azurine et moi!!!//Regina Regenbogen und ich!!!

silverorangetears

2X SABINE S!!

Post by silverorangetears »

google translate wouldn't tell what rainbow brite's character's names in other languages are...

check out http://wiki.rainbowbrite.co.uk/index.php5/Main_Page
you can navigate to the different characters, and find out information about them, including their names in other languages,
i suppose, you could then take those names, and translate them?

As for your story, Blondine, are you sure your co-worker appreciated the attention? i think i might have been creeped out if someone had given me a doll and exclaimed that it was because i had the same name as her..

Blondine Arc-En-Ciel

2X SABINE S!!

The German names for RB and company mostly consist of a first and last name. The first names are normal German first names except for Buddy, who was called Bubi and Murky, who was called Grummel. Those are the only first names that need translation. Lurky and Stormy only had first names so you'll need to do those and the only one I don't remember offhand is Tickled Pink.

Then translate the the last names into English one by one. You may actually be able to figure out Moonglow's, La La's and Indigo's last names without the translator.